Friday, July 2, 2010

What is the "Perfect Wedding"?

I was thinking about this and decided to put my thoughts in this blog.  Just something to think about.

Every bride has a different idea of what will make their wedding perfect.  It is usually a combination of things: their dress, hair, make up, pictures, the church of their choice, the DJ, the dinner, the weather.  The list can go on and on.

Sometimes though, things don't go as planned.  But one should not let that wreck their day.  18+ years ago when I got married, there was a blizzard/ice storm the night before my wedding.  My future husband, Ed,  was staying at his mom's place about 40 miles away and we were expecting 150 people on Saturday night for a sit down meal. Many coming from over 100 miles away.

When I watched the weather Friday night with my mom, all I could do was laugh.  I laughed because Ed had 2 brothers who had also chosen Thanksgiving weekend in previous years to get married and they all had snow storms on the day of their wedding as well.  So what could I really do but laugh....we kept the family tradition.

To me the most important thing to happen that day was that I was getting married.  Yes, Ed made it to town in time for the wedding.  Most of guests we were expecting for a small family wedding were there, with the exception of my godparents and grandmother.

For our sit down dinner that night we served 99 plates.  Though a lot of Ed's & mine friends didn't make it, we still had a great time and it was a "Perfect Wedding" because we got to say our "I do's".

I tell my perspective bridal couples to not sweat the small stuff.  Although they may know something wasn't exactly how they wanted it, most guests won't know the difference.  They will see a beautiful bride in her gorgeous gown and the handsome groom in his tux get married and to the guests' it was a perfect wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment